Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Where To Buy A Car Starter In Syracuse

A holiday a bit special ...


It's been almost five months now that I'm in West Africa and it is always a great pleasure to share my adventures. This week, to last a little longer the spirit of the holidays, I describe the Christmas I have spent here in Burkina Faso.


It is 35 degree Celsius under a strong sun Sahel. The landscape that awaits me is a plain dotted with shrubs, long grass withered, one or two trees on the horizon and a baobab tree, this majestic tree standing like a king in this reddish earth. We head to Hitt, the village where I would have the chance to spend three days, including Christmas Eve. He is 13h and I'm hot, very hot! Two questions keep my mind busy: How do I find the words to tell my loved ones currently in Canada and most importantly, was it really a good idea to travel 70km by bicycle on a sandy road in two days with this heat and a headwind!?

Let's go back. Here, the holidays are really starting December 19. And no, it's not because this is when people rush to browse the malls to buy presents for their loved ones! Indeed, in a city where more than 80% of the population is Muslim, we all celebrate Tabaski, also called the Feast of Sacrifice. This day, all families can afford kill a sheep in remembrance of the ram to Abraham sent the angel Gabriel. A large gathering was first place on the Place de la Nation, where a crowd congregating for a group prayer at 9:00.



It's really impressive! During the day, whether Catholic or Muslim, families visit them, sit down to eat and talk. We exchanged rice dishes, pasta, couscous, chicken and mutton of course! From family to family, my stomach fills gradually. After the 6th meal, you will understand that I needed a break! After

Tabaski, Christmas is fast approaching. A friend and I decided to go to the brother the latter, living in a village 70km Ouahigouya, the town where I live. In cycling, we are moving slowly but surely, the paths of earth and wind slowing somewhat the momentum. Once there, the family welcomed us warmly welcome with water and a dish of te. It's Christmas Eve, darkness falls, so we are quickly bringing the pig and sheep in the pen. Since there is no electricity, we use our battery lamps to light us. An hour later, after the slaughter and emptying and cleaning of our future feast, we begin to cut different parts into smaller pieces for the dish the next day. I'm exhausted. The bike ride of the day like me somewhat heated mind, a glass of dolo (local beer made with grain sorghum) is enough to send me to bed.

The next morning, the traditional Mass of Christmas. All Catholics of the village gather together and chants, homily and the final dance to the sound of drums! Bedazzled!



The day continues with lunch prepared by women in the morning, followed by the visit of the different families located Loans from us. The village is very large, it is difficult to see everyone. The afternoon, takes place at the heart of the village activities attracting mostly young people. Thanks to the square dance, and I have done a good laugh over 100 young Burkinabe! With an air of confidence, I get along with others in the arena and the sound of reggae music, I put the package before the crowd perplexed. It's not every day that White has danced on Christmas Day! A little later, others are dragging prices and sell only items found in cities such as candy, shoes, cigarettes, soaps, toys, clothing, soft drinks and alcoholic. Finally, several games allow anyone who wants to exercise his address.



Again exhausted, I go to bed at night and letting my friend take the dolo discuss with his friends. Before falling asleep on the mat, rug for my mattress, I thought for my family and friends, which I am separated for this unique moment of the year. Looking back, I see the sky and tell myself that at least, perhaps I shall never an opportunity to spend Christmas in so many stars!

The next day, we are on the way home, still cycling, but with bags of peanuts and a rooster too!



It's tradition, no matter where it comes from, if a foreigner visits the village of Hitt, it starts with a chicken. I take this walk to think again about how I can tell this story. I think what surprised me that made me laugh and cry. I come to the conclusion that Christmas is for everyone an opportunity to meet, eat, tell stories, laugh and share moments of happiness, regardless of where they comes. Only how to express it slightly different. Unlike here, where the highlight of the evening is the exchange of gifts, here is the mass ... And you can enjoy a good piece of meat!

Ned Tabo! (Happy Holidays!)

0 comments:

Post a Comment